There is a skin condition called Malassezia folliculitis, formerly known as Pityrosporum folliculitis, that is caused by yeasts (fungi) of the genus Malasseziathat and it can look just like acne. It appears as small, non-inflamed bumps that frequently shows up on the forehead, but can be anywhere on their body. People can often have a combination of both acne and folliculitis.
What is folliculitis?
It is an inflammation of the hair follicles most often caused by a fungal or yeast infection. It can remain dormant for long periods of time and then flare up with humid weather. There are bacterial forms of folliculitis as well and one must be tested to know which it is.
We can tell that it is folliculitis by the way it extracts. It extracts much differently than an acne lesion. Also, if the condition “comes and goes” then that is a clue that it is folliculitis and not acne.
It can be caused by the extended use of antibiotics, the use of steroids, oily skin, humidity, occlusive clothing, heavy moisturizers, and the use of hot tubs/spas.
How to Treat Folliculitis
- Mandelic or ketoconazole cleansers and mandelic serums are great as an anti-fungal treatment. We recommend our Mandelic Wash or Mandelic Scrub as the best solution. Your esthetician may also recommend a mandelic serum after testing your skin for sensitivity.
- Keep the affected areas dry – applying “Gold Bond Powder” can help keep the skin dry (on the body).
- Avoid foods containing sugar and yeast (bread, alcohol, processed/frozen foods, sandwich meat, and dairy).
- Cotton clothing and cotton sheets are best. Avoid use of fabric softener.
- Antifungal supplements can help.
Select one or two and rotate every few weeks
- Coconut Oil (or caprylic acid)
- Undecylenic Acid (bioactive nutrients combines this with two other antifungals: neem and grapefruit seed oil)
- Olive Leaf
- Oil of Oregano
- ACV (tablets or liquid)
- Probiotic supplements – especially for those who have been on antibiotics for a long time. Probiotics don’t need to be rotated out as often. They can be taken for several months at a time, then taken out of the diet for a week or two and then restarted again.
© 2012-2019 Face Reality Acne Clinic